On Location Hair &Make-Up

For more information visit www.kellifink.com or email us at Info@kellifink.com.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Czar of Curl....



Guru is a stretch. However, I have mastered the art of curly and wavy hair. That may sound a little arrogant but trust me when I tell you it is well deserved. I was raised in the land of the curly headed people. My mother and sister both had THICK, coarse, curly hair. I am well versed in the tears that accompany the " triangle cut",  the " shelf cut" and dear lord... The "bi- level cut."

I was styling my mom's hair for business meetings before I could drive. EVERY SINGLE dance my sister went to began with sobbing and putting her head in the sink. I can still hear my mom telling her that she would iron her hair ( literally with an iron) or set her whole head in Orange juice cans. You can imagine the horror that came over them when I came home with my straight hair and told them I was leaving college to go to hair school. You would have thought I said I was pregnant. Their only concern? Make sure you master curly hair or vow to never touch it.

So, I mastered it. This is my main advice to all of my clients with curl or wave.... Stop straightening it.. PLEASE. Hair looks best when you enhance what it already wants to do. Don't fight it. Embrace your curl.. I am here to tell you how..

Step one:
On damp hair first apply a generous amount of a lavender based product. Lavender boosts your curl or wave. Then apply a light hold mousse to the root and a light gel to the ends.
On Toni I used Mister Right; Lavender Spray by Deva Curl, Guts by Redken and Arc Angel by Deva Curl.



Step Two:
Twist random sections all over your head. Don't try to make them too perfect over over think them. If its taking you more than 30 seconds... You're too methodical.



Step Three:
Gently place the ends of your hair into a diffuser. The hair will coil itself around the fingers of the diffuser and make neat, smooth curls. Make sure you're not moving it all around. It should be a gentle process.






Step Four :
With an average size curling iron, make a few random curls around the hair line and any pieces that came out frizzy. You should not place more than ten curls...





 
And Just a few coloring tips:
 
1. When highlighting and lowlighting try to use a mix of both warm and cool tones. Toni has very honey tones mixed witrh very icy tones.
2. Dont forget to add shine. Whenever possible ask your stylist for a gloss or glaze. Curly hair can look dull and dry. A Glaze will help!
 
Feel free to post any questions you have!!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
And there you have it!! It's that simple and achievable at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment